Greystone Communications just spent a week aboard Cod filming re-enactment scenes for a four-part miniseries for The History Channel. The series is about United States Submarines in World War II, and will air after the first of the year. Cod herself is not the subject of the series but plays the parts of a number of her sisters who were lost in battle or subsequently scrapped.
Our photographer has taken photos of the filming processes and some of these photos will be added to this website.
NOTE !!!: We were just informed by The History Channel that the miniseries, "Silent Service", will be aired on four consecutive evenings starting 8 January 2001.
COD's World War II sailing list for her seven war patrols has been assembled from ships logs and patrol reports and is now presented here. (WW-II Sailing List>) When the information about COD's Cold War crews can be assembled it will also be added to the website
SEE THE TORPEDOS LOADING ABOARD! Recently, Cod's crew loaded two WW-II Mark 14 torpedos into her Forward Torpedo Room. (One of these is a cut-away to show the internal mechanisms.) Because Cod is the last of the WW-II submarines that has not had her torpedo loading hatches cut away to make room for stairways this was a very unique evolution. All equipment and the procedures used were exactly as had been done more than 50 years ago. Torpedoes coming aboard!
- Take a Virtual Tour of The USS COD
- Want to visit the actual submarine? -- Location and Hours of Operation
- About The USS COD
- COD's Commissioning Crew
- COD's WW-II Combat Statistics
- Submarine Systems and Procedures
- Color Picture of USS COD
- Comments or Questions
Note: we recently acquired some black and white photos taken aboard Cod during the Summer of 1945 while she was on her seventh WW-II war patrol. Some of these images are now on the "tour" and more will be added.
- Historic Naval Ships Visitors Guide (* denotes submarines listed in guide and open to public)
- USS BOWFIN SS-287*
- USS CAVALLA SS-244*
- USS COBIA SS-245*
- USS GROWLER SSG-577*
- USS NAUTILUS SSN-571*
- USS PAMPANITO SS-383*
- USS REQUIN SS-481*
- USS SILVERSIDES SS-236*
- USS TORSK SS-423*
- USS BLENNY SS-324 (See story about COD rescue.)
- USS CREVALLE SS-291
- USS GUNNEL SS-253
- USS ICEFISH SS-367
- Submarine Wives Club
- SubWives website
- Dutch Submarines.com
- Dutch O-19 crew at 1997 reunion in the Netherlands
- THE FLEET HOMEPAGE - Links to a lot of subs
- U.S. SUBMARINE MEMORIAL FLEET
- GREAT LAKES SHIPPING - Not a sub link, but interesting
- Steamer WILLIAM G. MATHER
- Submarine Books
- ComSub NAVY
- Ron Martini's Submarine Site
- United States Submarine Veterans Inc.
- Explore submarine history on the Silent Service Ring!
Cod wishes to thank its Internet service provider Voyager.net for the generous donation of all services for the hosting of this web site.
We have had visitors aboard for a virtual "visit".Last revised 04 Novenber 2000
Write the USS COD: email@example.com